The Sisters Awesome Boxers
If your pet is allergic to wheat, leave out the bread and wheat germ. Increase the oatmeal amount to 12 cups and add oat bran. This recipe would also work well with ground turkey or chicken.
Prep time: 30 minutesCook time: 1 hours
1 pound of ground beef
1 24 ounce container of cottage cheese
1/2 cup of dried powder milk
1/3 cup of wheat germ
8 slices of oatmeal bread crumbled
8 cups of cooked oatmeal
4 cups of cooked brown rice
In very large mixing bowl, combine ground beef and cottage cheese; blend well. Add eggs, milk powder, and wheat germ and mix. Then add the crumbled bread, oatmeal, and brown rice and mix well.
Divide among ten small (5-1/2" x 3-1/2") aluminum loaf pans. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Cool at room temperature for 1 hour, then promptly refrigerate. This food is perishable, so don't store it in the fridge longer than three days.
We always froze all but one of the loaves. To defrost, let them stand in the refrigerator overnight. Crumble the meatloaf into a bowl, drizzle with some water, and microwave for 20-30 seconds until warm. Make sure the food doesn't have hot spots after microwaving, as your pet will gobble this up!
Make sure to discard any food that has been sitting out for 30 minutes or longer.
Microwave Doggie Donuts
2 c Whole wheat flour
3 T Oatmeal
1 Egg; lightly beaten
1 ts Garlic powder
2/3 c Beef or chicken broth
Place flour in a bowl, add egg and broth, mix well. Blend in oatmeal and garlic powder. Roll dough into a ball, roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2" thick. Cut with small doughnut cutters. Reroll scraps and repeat. Arrange on a shallow baking dish or on a sheet or parchment paper in a single layer. Cook on HIGH 10 minutes or until firm.
Let cool until hardened. Store in covered container in refrigerator.
Cheese Twists for Dogs
Yield: 18 Dog treats
2 c Whole wheat flour
1/4 c Cornmeal
1 md Egg
3/4 c Water
1/2 c Grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine all ingredients except 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Knead until thoroughly mixed.
2. Using a teaspoon, scoop out dough and roll into 1-inch balls. (Or, divide the dough in half, then into fourths and so on until you have 18 small pieces.) On a lightly-floured surface, roll the balls into pencil-shaped sticks.
3. Roll sticks in remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, then flatten them by hand or with a rolling pin. Twist each stick several times and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake in a preheated 325'F oven for 30 minutes.
5. Let cool on pan. Store in a sealed container.
Don Juan's Donkey Cookies
1 C. oatmeal
1 C. flour
1 C. shredded carrots
1 t. salt
1 T. sugar
2 T. vegetable oil
1/4 C. molasses
1/4 C. water
Mix ingredients as listed. Roll in to 1 1/2 inch balls & place on cookie sheet.
Bake at 350°F. for 15 minutes or until golden brown in color.